Monday, February 26, 2007

CCRPG?

Will we see the merger between roleplaying games and collectible card games? If so, what direction will it come from?

I don't know much at all about CCGs. I've never even played Magic. I do, however, see RPGs embracing some CCG-like tropes. Exalted was explicitly designed with a CCG aesthetic in mind. More recently, D&D's Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords was released with an even more CCG-like aesthetic. The Wizard's website even released downloadable maneuver cards. Perhaps more subtly, the D&D marketing gimmick of releasing new feats and prestige classes in various books is similar to the CCG marketing strategy. I'm not even going to go into their miniatures line...

How far can this go?

I could see a game in which character sheets were replaced by decks. That could work easily enough, though I'm not sure if there would be much benefit to it. I suppose if the mechanics for individual abilities were in the deck, then each deck would be self-contained and not need to reference a book. That would be kind of neat.

Is there creep in the opposite direction?

Are CCGs becoming more RPGlike? I don't know.

No comments: