Friday, February 16, 2007

Maxximum Oddity

Last night I re-watched the first few episodes of The Maxx for the first time in probably about a decade. It was every bit as strange as I remembered it being. Possibly more so.

There are probably some deep observations I could make paralleling The Maxx and RPGs, talking about escape into fantasy worlds and heroic self-images and such. Instead, I'm just going to say that The Maxx is awesome, in a totally-screwed-up sort of way.

One of my favorite scenes focuses on this kid at a gas station, filling up his car and moping about how nothing interesting ever happens to him. In the previous episode, we saw The Maxx and Mr. Gone (which is a great name, btw) battling on top of the gas station, and this kid's life becomes briefly interesting, if not so pleasant. It was a wonderful innocent bystander moment.

Anyway, it also reminded me of this idea for an RPG that I had a long time ago (and which I don't think I've mentioned in this blog). It was tentatively called In Our Dreams We Are Heroes, and it focused upon people who, when they slept, traveled to an alternate world in which they had incredible powers. The game would play as a (somewhat odd) superhero-type game in that world and a dark, quasi-conspiracy-style game in the "real" world - where the PCs could relate to each other and bond, but most anyone else would think them insane. When I came up with the idea, it was based on A Nightmare on Elm Street III, some novels by Charles de Lint, and assorted other things... but The Maxx actually fits it better than just about anything.

1 comment:

David M Jacobs said...

Sorry to reply two months after your post, but I just stumbled across your blog via Treasure Tables, and have been reading some of your older entries.

I, too, am a huge fan of The Maxx, as the profile on my own blog should show. I first saw it on TV a number of years ago, and was instantly hooked. I've since bought the TPBs which are, if anything, even better—and are now a treasured part of my modest comic collection.

Regarding In Our Dreams We Are Heroes, I believe that Mystic Eye Games' The Hunt: Rise of Evil revolves around the interplay between dream and reality, except that the dream-world is a dark fantasy one. I have a few supplements for it (which have been quite good sources to appropriate material from), but the core setting hasn't really appealed to me enough to run a game in.

Still, it might be worth looking into, should you have some spare cash, and wish to mine it for ideas.