Monday, May 07, 2007

I'm running with it

I've been struggling with the decision of what to run for the C-U Run Club. I can't delay any longer - my turn comes up on May 28th.

I've decided to run The Secret of Zir'an. This is a game that I've neither played nor run, but I've had it since it came out. It has generally been reviewed positively, but it suffered from some very poor layout choices that limited its appeal.

Why did I decide on this game?

  • I've had the books since they've come out, but I've never really done anything with them. I wanted to run a game that I'd never run before.
  • I am intrigued by the mechanics. The Finesse levels allow you to accomplish many tasks without rolling. The finesse effects are the only real known example of an idea I've been toying with for a bit with my thoughts on the FM system.
  • I wonder how complicated the game is - character creation seems dense. It will be an exercise to wade through. The mechanics of play look complicated, but I have a hopeful suspicion that they will play well. The Run Club looks like a good place to test this.
  • The setting is cool and pulpy, but has the whole fantasy thing going too. The mix of tech and magic is neat. It is like if Eberron were redesigned from the ground up without the need to adhere to D&D tropes.
  • There is a lot of online support. The designers are still active and accessible and want to help you have fun playing the game they made. There are two quickstart adventures out there for me to steal from. These are things I may use, and things I definitely encourage.

No comments: