Monday, July 09, 2007

WoAdWriMo thoughts

I'll probably post some version of this on the WoAdWriMo forum, but I want to get my thoughts in order first.

The original vision for Worldwide Adventure Writing Month, as I understand it from Jeff, was to create a bank of quality free adventures on the web. Making it a "month" was partially for publicity and partially for writer solidarity.

I think that maybe, though, the month-format worked against it more than for it. A significantly larger number of people expressed interest in WoAdWriMo than have finished. Some of those, like myself, are still working on their adventures. I suspect, though, that most of them just stopped when they realized that they weren't going to make their deadline.

That seems to run contrary to the point.

My thought? We could use an Internet Adventure Archive. Ideally, I'd see each adventure in the archive with a forum that people could post reviews, playtest results, and suggestions in... or even supplemental material. The authors could post there, too, to answer questions and the like.

As part of this, we could have an Adventure Writers community - where authoring tips and suggestions are made. WoAdWriMo could reside in this community, but the idea would be that the community would function year-round. WoAdWriMo would be the annual 'event' of the community.

1 comment:

David M Jacobs said...

I agree about the month thing. In a "normal" month, I could've got through writing something the size of Chaddma's Legacy; the last month has been something less than normal, though. Missing that deadline has sucked a bit of the wind out of my sails.

Nonetheless, I'm still nibbling away at it. I haven't had much time in the past week-and-a-half to work on it, but I'm conifdent it will get finished—sometime soon.

I like the Adventure Writers' community idea, and the Archive idea, too. I've only quickly browsed the finished WoAdWriMo entries (I don't want to risk unconsciously plagiarising them), but they all seem pretty well done. At the very least, the 32-page criterion enforces a minimum standard, something which, say, RPG Archive lacks. (And its rating system sucks pretty badly, too.)