Thursday, August 16, 2007

4venture

The 4e announcement depresses me.

I am trying to figure out why this is.

Some random thoughts:

  • I'm worried that the licensing will change. From what I've read, it sounds as if all open-license-fan-material will need to be run through Gleemax. If that is true (and it may not be), it has at least some unpleasant consequences for what I've been doing in this blog.
  • I'm worried that the system will be substantially similar to the Star Wars Saga Edition. When SWSE came out, I didn't think this - but with 4e following so closely, I am concerned. I think that there are some great things in the SWSE system, but I also think that it has some serious issues - and I worry that they wouldn't be fixed for 4e.
  • I've invested a good chunk in 3.x - not just money, but time, thought, and effort. I feel like I am invested in the system. I enjoy tinkering with it, changing it, playing with it as a rule toolbox. Part of my enjoyment of it is my ability to easily share what I create with others. 4e's release will reduce interest in this sort of thing.
I think that there is something else that is bothering me, but I am still not sure what it is.

3 comments:

Infamous Jum said...

I felt the same way when I saw the site; kinda depressed and I don't know why. I think a lot of it is all the new junk they're attaching to this edition; for-pay digital content and online tools and the whole Gleemax thing. I could say that I understand they need to make money, but thats something I try to keep at the back of my mind and all this stuff really highlights the profit aspects. I guess I'll always have a part of me that wants to believe that there is at least SOME love for the game going on behind the scenes, and it feels less like that with each new publication.

szilard said...

I fear that the Internet will be to 4e what miniatures were to 3.xe. I further fear that this is largely motivated by the market share of online gaming... and that Wizards is trying to cash in on that, rather than concentrate on what tabletop gaming is good at.

...but this is me worrying.

You going to GenCon at all?

Infamous Jum said...

Sadly, I got stuck working the weekend this year. Hopefully next year will fair better. I hope you have some serious rockin' fun out there!