Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Character Concept and Development

When I started playing Bart, I had little more than the concept of "Dwarven Gourmand/Chef" to go on. I expected his primary motivation for adventuring to be to seek out new creatures and eat them (and, you know, to find new cultures and sample their cuisines and such). Some of this has definitely come to pass. The game I am playing him in definitely has culinary overtones, primarily due to Bart's interest in such things.

As his career as an adventurer has progressed, however, Bart has acquired other reasons for adventuring and has assumed a leadership role in the group. He's not just a chef, anymore. Even if he is becoming a better chef in some ways (through learning about the dishes of other cultures and such), he is becoming less of a chef in the sense that it is becoming less central to his identity. He's growing away from his initial concept. This is a phenomenon that I've experienced before.

This weekend, I wrote up a chef-based prestige class. Initially, the thought was that this would be for Bart, but now I don't know. I feel like if his chef-ness is less central to him, that it would be weird to take a prestige class focused upon that. He's become the group's de facto leader... and one of its front line fighters. As a Ranger/Rogue he can dish out a bit of damage with two weapons and sneak attacks, but he's not really set up to stand on the front line. Maybe if I took some levels in Warblade (reinterpreting maneuvers with a cookery/knifework theme?) or Swashbuckler.

1 comment:

Jeff Rients said...

In Jon's campaign Pat's henchbug had some sort of totem-taker feat that worked with a taxidermy skill. I don't remember the exact details, but a slight rework might allow that to be converted into monster ingredient themed ability.