Tuesday, July 08, 2008

WALL-E: Postapocalyptic RPG setting?

This post contains spoilers for WALL-E, Pixar's new movie-thing... and won't make a whole lot of sense unless you've seen it.

Angela and I saw WALL-E on Friday. As we walked out of the theater, she leaned over and said something to the effect of, "...and they all died within the first year back on Earth."

I pointed out that the AXIOM, while no longer in space, may well still be fully-functional and capable of providing food and such.

Today, someone else pointed out the possibilities for the children to survive in a Lord of the Flies style society.

You see where this is going?

I'm pretty sure you could create a compelling postapocalyptic setting in the aftermath of the movie. You could easily combine the wastelands of earth with still-semi-functioning technology, rogue robots, BNL-worshipping cannibals descended from AXIOM passengers, BNL executives revived out of coldsleep seeking to re-assume control from their underground HQ, and towering pillars of compressed trash.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

off topic:

Howdy, just found your blog the other day while looking for info on Star Wars Saga Edition. I don't blog, so not sure if it tells you when you get a comment on an old post. I read through your post on Saga, just wondering if you ever actually played, and if so what you thought? Thanks!

szilard said...

Hey there.

I played SWSE a little bit. Overall, I had a pretty good time.

I wanted to play a sneaky Jedi, which isn't really a character type allowed by any of the base classes. I ended up creating a Scoundrel with Force Sensitivity who multiclassed to Jedi at second level. Why? So that I could be trained in stealth and deception. This seemed a bit kludgy... and my PC didn't feel like my concept at 1st level. I think that was my primary gripe with the game - that it tries to shoehorn you into certain character archetypes.

Andrew said...

Hmmm, do you have any experience with the West End star wars games that you could compare the two?

szilard said...

I played the WE version back in the early 90s... so my memory of it is spotty. One thing that I definitely liked about SWSE over WEG-SW is that it is a lot simpler to be a technician in SE. In the movies, it seemed like if someone had one tech skill, she had them all. In WEG-SW, I remember there being a ton of different tech skills and piloting skills and weapon skills... which wasn't really reflective of the general competence of people in the films. SWSE does better with that.

Matthew said...

I had the same thought about a potential post-apocalyptic WALL-E RPG. It wasn't as developed to include frozen BnL execs or cannibals, but watching the robots and humans cooperate to rebuild their society during the credits sequence really struck a "Ooo, new sandbox!" chord within me. I think it also reminded me a little of Phantasy Star by Sega. Anyway, I was sure I couldn't be the ONLY one who had that notion, and I'm glad to find someone else out there thought the same thing. Nice!