Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Vampire allergies and other strangeness

I've talked a bit about the Monday night game that I play in - it is a Morrow Project game that uses White Wolf's Storytelling system. The Morrow Project is a game about operatives for a shadowy philanthropic paramilitary organization who are cryogenically frozen in case of disaster. We woke up to a post-apocalyptic world ~150 years after a nuclear war.

It has been a really fun game. I'm playing a manipulative bastard, and I'm enjoying it. The problem?

Vampires.

These might be quasi-canon in the Morrow Project, but I have a visceral reaction to vampires in White Wolf games. I LARPed fairly heavily through the mid-to-late 90s - and was even an international coordinator for One World By Night. It totally burnt me out. Now, the thought of playing a vampire-based rpg is a total turn-off. It is utterly irrational, but it is there.

So. Vampires appeared in a game that I was enjoying... that happened to use White Wolf's ruleset. This is a problem.

I'm trying to get over it. I've spoken to the GM a bit... and he's sympathetic. He let me know that the vampires are largely avoidable. The problem, I suspect, is that the other players might be really interested in going in that direction. Any advice is welcome.

In related news, I'm also at one of those transitional points in gaming (and life) that come every once in a while, and it has me a bit discombobulated.

Things changing:
  • My Exalted game lacks a meeting time. One of the players is going back to school and will no longer be able to meet on Thursday evenings.
  • Our Wednesday night group lost a player... and we're not sure what we are going to do next. I might run Shadowrun. Or something. Or Jeff might run something. Doug hasn't offered to run anything, which is sad. We're meeting tomorrow night to figure out what direction (if any) to move in...
  • Angela and I had been planning a game to co-GM after her D&D campaign wraps up... but something was seriously bugging me about the game. It didn't feel right. We scrapped the idea and started over. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • For the first time in a while, we have a usable gaming space in the house. It is still a mess (I keep asking the cats to clean it up, but...), but it is serviceable.
  • Work might get totally, totally insane in about a month (but come with a nice pay increase). Alternately, my job might be up in the air. This situation does not help long term planning.

1 comment:

Jeff Rients said...

Every gamer I've ever met has little idiosyncrasies like "no vampires please". I'd suggest just making your case to the other players.