Friday, February 27, 2009

FLGS: Armored Gopher Games

Last night I decided to check out the new location of one of my local game stores, Armored Gopher Games. They relocated about a month ago from a conveniently-located, but too-small store to a much larger space on the other side of town.

Even knowing where their store was, it was a bit tricky to find them. They are located at the end of a strip mall and don't have much in the way of signage yet. Hopefully that will change.

I was, as always, greeted in a friendly way when I came in... it helps that I've gamed with one of the owners. (Hi Dave!) There was a crowd in there, which was nice to see. One large group (about eight people?) was playing a 3.5 D&D game at a table in the front of the store. Another group was playing something else in the back. There was plenty of room and no one looked crowded. That was pretty impressive.

Dave pointed out that they now had a (small) used section. That was nice to see. A used section that constantly changes is one of the best ways to get me into your gaming store... because I'll want to see what shows up there. The general stock of the store was small, but varied. It had the essentials, plus a few weird things that I appreciated (including some indie rpgs).

I didn't end up buying any rpg stuff - I really just stopped in to see the place, but I did walk out with a board game I'd had my eye on....

3 comments:

Jeff Rients said...

Dave pointed out that they now had a (small) used section. That was nice to see. A used section that constantly changes is one of the best ways to get me into your gaming store... because I'll want to see what shows up there.

Agreed. That's what kept me going back to the distinguished competition long after I really enjoyed doing so.

Christian said...

Used sections are great. I've seen guys drop $50 on used product way before they'd ever spend $25 on something new.

Samuel Van Der Wall said...

They stay open pretty late for a gaming store (according to their website). That's pretty awesome to have something like that in your local area.